Writing your statement
- Make some time to write your statement.
- Think around the topic: “Tell me about your practice.”
- Choose the limit – length or time – about ¾ to 1 page A4.
- First draft: write until you have completed the statement.
- Do not stop and read – keep writing.
- If you get blocked – develop a strategy to get around it.
- When you have finished – put it away. Repeat this process 3-4 times.
- When you have completed your rough versions – edit them together.
What you could cover
- What issues do you deal with in your work?
- What questions does your work pose?
- What are your influences?
- What are your inspirations?
- What is the context to your work? (eg historical/contemporary)
- What materials do you use – are they important to the ideas?
- What processes do you use?
- Some personal details and subjective thoughts?
- What are the aspirations for the work?
- How does/should the audience engage with the work?
- What is the intended physical experience or spatial awareness created by the work?